LIDDC: GOLYTELY, COLYTE, NULYTLEY
MORE THAN TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
Inform the office (631) 751-8700 IF:
1. You are diabetic
2. You are allergic to latex
3. You take blood thinning products
(Coumadin, Plavix, Aggrenox, Pradaxa, Plectal, Ticlid, Trental, Effient)
4. You have a prosthetic heart valve,
a history of endocarditis, vascular graft, prosthetic joint replacement
within the last 12 months. You may need antibiotic coverage
for your procedure.
5. Make sure you have a driver to
take you home after the procedure.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
1. Do not take iron, iron-containing compounds, Vitamin
E. fish-oil, aspirin, advil, motrin, ibuprofen,
aleve, naprosyn. You may take Tylenol
2. Blood work should be done 7-14 days
prior to the procedure. A pregnancy test should be done
less than 7 days
prior to the procedure. We may need a urine sample on admission
from women of child
3. Avoid fruits/vegetables with seeds:
eg tomatoes, kiwi fruit, caraway, flax, poppy, sesame etc. and
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
1. Drink only clear liquids (liquids you
can see through). These should not be RED or PURPLE.
include: apple juice, water, clear broth or bouillon, Gatorade, Snapple, carbonated
ice popsicles, black coffee, black tea. (sugar or sweetener is allowed –
but NO milk/creamer)
2. Drink at least 8 glasses of clear liquid during the
day. It is very important that you stay well hydrated.
3. Golytely/Colyte/NuLytley instructions:
a) In the morning,
add water to bring total volume to 4 liters (level is marked on the bottle).
Mix and shake
well till dissolved. Do not add additional flavoring or ingredients. Refrigerate
this until ready to drink – this improves palatability.
b) Start the Golytley/Colyte/NuLytley
prep at 5pm. Drink 8 oz. of the prep every 15 minutes until you
If you become nauseated, stop drinking for 30 minutes. Then resume drinking
the prep, pacing yourself until you are able
to finish the gallon.
4. If your procedure is scheduled in the hospital,
call the evening before for your arrival time.
- Mather Hospital 476-2717 - St Charles Hospital 474-6441
THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE:
1. Do not eat anything after midnight
on the day of your procedure. You may not drink anything
less than 6 hours before your procedure. No gum or candy. You may
brush your teeth.
2. Take your usual morning medications with a sip
3. Wear loose fitting clothes. Do not wear contact lenses,
jewelry or make-up. Remove tongue
4. Bring your inhalers with you. Bring
your glasses case with you.
5. Contact the office if you have questions or your physical
condition changes (cold, fever, illness) (631) 751-8700.
6. We may cancel the procedure if you do not have
a driver to take you home. Your driver will need to sign
your discharge papers. You may resume your normal diet after
the procedure. You may not drive
for the rest of the day/night. You may resume normal activities
the next day.
[Back to Prep Instructions]